"The scariest moment is always before you start"

Came across this lovely quote today, "The scariest moment is always before you start" and found it to be so true.

My mind keeps coming up with absurd reasons to NOT do something which I really want to do, but which scares the living day lights out of me. The one constant thing that I have always wanted to do was write. Everything else kept changing; from being a environmentalist to being a tech guru to being a social worker. Well now I'm none of these and at the same time I'm all of this. I am in a mediocre job related to tech, with a few hours of volunteering at humanitarian events and also a preacher of protecting the environment to my near and dear ones (who never listen to me). But what I still haven't done, is actually write about something that I'm passionate about.

When I was 11 years old, I had started writing a story. It was such a world-encompassing far-fetched story that I smile every time I think about it. It involved the characters of The Famous Five who are trying to investigate a murder and end up meeting Scrooge McDuck who then together go and meet Goofy and Aladdin and Buzz Lightyear and a host of other characters. I must have written about 10 pages in my notebook with my scribbling handwriting. I never managed to reach the end but I remember deciding that the murder should be done using a laser gun. * innocent me *

My elder brother read the story and he said wow really good writing. Now many years later I know he was just being sweet and supportive. But at that moment I was really proud of myself and thought maybe I could be the youngest person to ever publish a full-fledged book. Yes I was crazy even then.

But this desire to write has never really left me. Every time I feel depressed about the mundane work I do, I fire up google and type "How to be a better writer and crush writer's block". I waste around an hour reading all the various results, some of which even contradict the previous articles that I have read, and at the end of it I just go back to my black and white screen and finish up the remainder of my work.

This time around I did something different. This time I decided to put down my thoughts in this blog post that you are reading. I had read in one of the articles that if you want to be a writer, the first step is to call yourself a writer. There are no set rules defined which will label you a writer. So here I am taking my first baby step, and saying I am a Writer. Now that the scary part is over, time to move forward.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Farewell thee

The Indian Wave...

There and Back Again